The benefits of having a healthy workforce, whether your company is a sole trader or a multinational conglomerate, seem obvious. Fewer sick leave days + better productivity = improved profitability.
However, many business owners will leave the health of their employees down to the individuals concerned, taking the view that while employers have legal responsibilities under health and safety legislation, that’s about as far as they need to go.
What they may not realise is that there is help in ensuring the workforce stays healthy. It’s completely free. And in Kent, it’s offered by the Kent Public Health department of Kent County Council.
Kas Hardy, a public health specialist at KCC, recently gave a presentation to Wealden Business Group. Among the key points she made…..
- Our health is shaped by where we work, every bit as much as where we live and play.
- That the major causes of death in England, in order, are smoking, obesity and alcohol, which all hugely outweigh the mortality statistics for road deaths and illegal drugs.
- The keys to creating a healthy working environment are commitment at the top of the organisation, leadership, culture and communication.
- KCC can arrange NHS health checks for employees over 40, without a diagnosis; a stop smoking service; health trainers; weight loss programmes; and counselling therapies, all completely free of charge, and….
- KCC also organises a Kent Healthy Business Awards scheme – visit their website at http://www.kent.gov.uk/business/grow-your-business/business-awards-and-events/kent-healthy-business-awards
For further information about how to maximise the health of your workforce, contact Kas Hardy, tel: 0300 333 5145 (office) or 07850 216744 (mobile), email [email protected]
Wealden Business Group is an organisation for owner-managers of Small and Medium Enterprises with the principal objective of helping members maximise their business opportunities through networking, co-operation and mutual support.