With an ever-ageing population, dementia has now reached the top of the agenda with the medical profession, politicians and the pharmaceutical industry, all urgently seeking new treatments and hope for thousands of sufferers.
Now the Alzheimer’s Society has launched a Dementia Friends campaign, to encourage awareness and action among local communities and businesses.
Dementia Friends’ representatives Janet Goode and Caroline Speed, from law firm Whitehead Monckton which is supporting the initiative, spoke to Wealden Business Group at a July meeting.
They delivered the message that everyone can help combat what is fast becoming the nation’s number one health concern, by spending time with friends and relatives living with dementia; volunteering; fundraising; and encouraging friends and colleagues to become involved
For businesses, Janet and Caroline recommended staging an information session for staff, and after they have agreed to become Dementia Friends, displaying the Tenterden Dementia Friendly Community logo in shop windows and offices.
Among their key messages, was that dementia…..
- Is not a natural part of growing old
- Is caused by diseases of the brain (there are more than 100 of them) of which the most common is Alzheimer’s
- Is not just about losing memory – it can also affect thinking, communicating and doing everyday tasks.
- It’s possible to live well with it, and
- There’s more to a person than dementia – with support, sufferers can take an active role in life.
If you would like to become a supporter of Dementia Friends, find out more by logging on to dementiafriends.org.uk