It’s one of our biggest business nightmares – succumbing to an online scam, and maybe losing thousands of pounds.
So our thanks to National Westminster Bank, Tenterden for delivering these anti-scam tips at one of our recent breakfast presentations.
The list is provided by Friends Against Scams, a national Trading Standards inititiative.
- Never give your personal or banking details to anyone you don’t know or trust.
- The bank will never ask you to transfer money to another bank or withdraw money and hand it to a courier.
- Never give your customer number, full PIN and password or card reader code to anyone.
- Your bank will never ask you for your full PIN or password in a text or email or when banking online.
- Be careful what information you share on social media – fraudsters can use that information to impersonate you.
- Always phone your bank on an independently sourced number – even if you receive a message from your bank which contains a telephone number to call back on.
- Always shred documents which contain any personal information.
- Always delete suspicious texts – often they may try to trick you into giving away personal and security information.
- Scammers will always attempt to communicate with you – especially online – to get personal information from you, but will rarely tell you much about themselves.
- Be cautious about online relationships – often they will target your emotions to get you to send money to them.
For more information visit the Friends Against Scams website www.friendsagainstscams.org.uk