We all know we need to do it. Some of us just love doing it. Others are baffled by it.
We’re talking social media.
Wealden Business Group recently invited Kent’s leading social media commentator Zoe Cairns to talk to members and explain some of the basics.
Here are some of her top tips…
- Try to set aside a couple of hours a month on forward planning your social media activity – Hootsuite will enable you to post everything in advance in one go.
- However, it is more important to engage with those people following you, liking or commenting on your posts. This will help you build your network.
- If time allows, check every day for responses to your postings, and comment or at least interact with a ‘like’.
- Don’t use social media as a heavyweight promotional vehicle for your company. Only one post in four should be promotional.
- Use the other posts for helpful content – share industry news, infographics, tips which you have found useful, BUT…
- Be careful what you share. Nothing controversial (such as Brexit!) otherwise you could alienate your audience.
- Being active on social media is great for driving traffic to your website.
- Enhance you postings with top quality generic pictures from free-to-use sites such as Pixabay and Pexels.
- Think themes. Your content becomes particularly relevant if, for instance, you can link what you are saying to events such as Christmas, Mother’s Day or the Olympics.
- Go to www.national-awareness-days.com to see if there are any awareness days relevant to your sector.
- Our thanks to Zoe Cains, contact zcsocialmedia.com, tel 0330 102 5535.