According to internet giant Google, there are eight key attributes to being a great manager.
Aimee O’Malley, who heads up Google’s People Development in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, has revealed the company’s idea of what makes a great manager.
Speaking at a recent conference, O’Malley revealed that Google experimented with having no managers at all in 2002! The rationale behind this mould-breaking move was that most Google employees were used to working by themselves.
However it didn’t work. After a long study, Google established that managers matter.
O’Malley revealed Google’s eight attributes of a Great Manager – that he or she…..
1. Is a good coach
2. Empowers teams, and does not micromanage
3. Expresses interest/concern for team members’ success and personal wellbeing
4. Is productive and results-oriented
5. Is a good communicator
6. Helps with career development
7. Has a clear vision/strategy for the team, and
8. Has important technical skills that help him/her advise the team.